Friday, April 17, 2009

Sustaining & Defending the Faith

I was a little shocked and a little upset to learn last weekend that one of my favorite "church" books was out of print. The book is Sustaining and Defending the Faith, by Joseph Fielding McConkie and Robert Millet. To the left is a picture of my copy. I first read this book on my mission, and I have to say, I read it more times (and probably more often, I'm sad to say) than even the Book of Mormon.

The message of this book is not one of contention, as you might think from the title. Instead, this book declares gospel truths and puts church criticism, slander, and misrepresentation into greater context and perspective. When you know what tools the adversary has when it comes to opposing truth and light, it is easier to recognize it for what it truly is, and sustain and defend your faith and testimony.

I want to include the opening paragraphs of Chapter 1 to illustrate the nature and power of this simple book:

"On the sixth of April, 1845 the Twelve Apostles issued a proclamation which included these words: 'As this work progresses in its ownward course, and becomes more and more an object of political and religious interest and excitement, no king, ruler, or subject, no community or individual, will stand neutral. All will at length be influenced by one spirit or the other; and will take sides either for or against the kingdom of God.'

"There is no neutrality where Christ and his kingdom are concerned. Light and darkness will never meet; Christ and Satan will never shake hands. The kingdom of God will always be opposed by the kingdom of the adversary...."

The Chapter makes the point that Truth (as it relates to the things of God) is identified by both a witness of the Spirit (the feelings of the Holy Spirit, answers to prayer, etc.) and by the opposition of the adversary.

As I continue to read sections of this book over the next little while, I will recap chapter subjects and points made therein. I would HIGHLY recommend that you find a copy of your own. It is a great resource for every member of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment