Sunday, April 5, 2009

Be The Change...


This may border on blasphemous, but I have a confession to make: I really like the movie Bruce Almighty and believe that it teaches many simple truths worthy of a Sunday School lesson. Whew! That feels good to get that off my chest.

So, why would I bring this up? No, it's not because I'm finally losing it (although that's debatable). Remember at the end, when Bruce gives up his anchor position and goes back to doing his community pieces? Remember how he ends his news reports? "Be the miracle!" This is a profound piece of advice, and I'll tell you why.

A couple of years ago our priesthood lesson was based on an LDS Conference address by Elder David A. Bednar entitled, And Nothing Shall Offend Them (Nov 2006). In this talk the point is made that at some point in our lives we are all offended by someone or something in the Church. It could be the choice of the new bishop ("How could he be bishop, he doesn't even get 100% on his home teaching every month."), or that no one greeted you at the door on your first day at your new ward, ("This is not a very friendly ward."), or that you can't believe what Brother So-And-So said from the pulpit ("That's definitely not church doctrine!"). There are so many reasons to take offense and never return ("I'll show them!")

Being offended is not something that is out of our control. Sure, the event, or words, or actions may be (in fact, they most likely are if they are done by someone else), but our response to them is entirely our choice. We choose whether or not we let something offend us, and we also choose what action we take next.

Personally, I have heard many (too many, actually) well-meaning members of the church speak like we (as members of the Church) have a "corner on the market" when it comes to "The Truth," that nowhere else can truth be found. Whenever I hear this it makes my skin crawl and I develop an eye twitch until the Gospel Doctrine teacher calls on me and I can "speak my piece" (or is it "peace"?)

Now, does this offend me? Am I going to stop going to church because Brother So-And-So has what I consider a narrow view of the world and thinks differently than I do? Of course not. What I have done is sought every opportunity to teach and share my views with others. Remember Bruce Almighty? I am trying to "be the change" I think needs to happen. If I think that members of the church are narrow minded, or judgmental, or any other host of human imperfections, should I be offended and not go to church? Or should I make it a point to attend church every week and do everything I can to correct that impression. Can I be open minded to other's faith and beliefs? Can I be kind and considerate of those different from myself? To choose to take offense and separate myself from them only serves to make the problem worse.
Like Bruce learned, if you want see a miracle, you need to be the miracle. Leaving and turning your back over something someone else said or did is easy; refusing to leave and working to become part of the solution is hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment