Monday, April 13, 2009

Exodus 4: 10-12

I have been blessed (with this faulty memory of mine) to remember some very moving and impactful spiritual experiences during my young life. One in particular, occurred when I was about to turn 16 years old. For any of you who might not be familiar with the practices of the LDS faith, when a worthy young man turns 12 he is given the Aaronic Priesthood and ordained to the office of a Deacon. When he turns 14 he is ordained to the office of Teacher. And when he turns 16 he is ordained to the office of a Priest and is able and expected to bless the sacrament (the bread and water) on Sundays.

Now, all growing up, from my earliest memories until the present day, I have had what some call a speech impediment. When I was younger it was much worse, and at this particular time it worried me and gave me great concern. I remember one night being at the church (for a Young Men's activity, no doubt) and sneaking away to be in the chapel alone and sat at the sacrament table. The lights were out, all was quiet and still--except my heart. How embarrassing it was going to be when I stammered through it. Many people in the Ward knew of my "characteristic" and would understand, and those who didn't would find out soon enough. I was nervous and probably down right scared, but I was never one to shy away from responsibility because of it--when called on to read a scripture verse or to speak in church I always accepted it and did my best, but this just felt different.

Then the chapel door opened and my Bishop walked in. He had been looking for me and (I guess) felt inspired to look for me here. He stepped around the back of the sacrament table and took a seat next to me. He asked, and I told him, and then he did something I hope I will never forget. He promised me that I would never have a problem reciting the sacrament prayers, and that the words would flow from lips as smoothly as any of the other priests. And something happened to me that night. I felt immediately calm and at ease, and though I didn't know how it would (or even could) happen, I knew that it would.

The next week I was ordained a Priest, and as I knelt to offer the sacrament prayer the words flowed from my lips fluently, and with meaning. And it wasn't just that first time. Every single time I blessed the sacrament (which was almost every week) the prayers came out the same: perfect, just as my Bishop had promised me.

I am reminded of the account of Moses, as indicated above, which recounts:

"And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say."


Since that time I have had the opportunity to bless the sacrament many times, and occasionally I hesitate or stammer through a word or two, but that's OK. The promise was made to a nervous (but faithful) young man, for the time that he was called to serve as a Priest, to glorify His power, and serve as a testimony to me, that God truly has the power to work miracles in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment